Board-Certified Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Board-Certified Pain Medicine
About Dr. Harris
Dr. David Harris is Board-Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) and Pain Medicine. He was among the first physicians in the 1990’s to combine the fields of Regenerative Medicine, Interventional Spine injections, and Comprehensive Pain Management into a unified practice within one clinic. He has performed more than 35,000 interventional spine procedures, and approximately 125,000 regenerative medicine injection procedures.
Dr. Harris has taught interventional spine techniques and regenerative injection therapy to many physicians nationally and internationally, including physicians throughout North and South America, India, Europe and Asia. He has been invited to teach in many conferences in the United States, Peru and Argentina. He enjoys teaching both surgeons and non-surgeons about combining the best attributes of interventional spine injection techniques, regenerative injection therapy, musculoskeletal medicine, and the appropriate use of surgery when necessary. He has treated many college athletes and has treated numerous local and touring musicians.
In his spare time, Dr. Harris enjoys spending time with his family, three sons, traveling and enjoying the outdoors. He plays guitar with friends in a local Austin band, Natural Causes, (see www.naturalcausesband.com). His wife, Michele Zink Harris, PT, is the Director of Physical Therapy services at CHARM
Education And Experience
- Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering, BSEE with Honors, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1984
- Medical Degree, MD, University of Texas Health Science Center / Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas, 1988
- Internship, Central Texas Medical Foundation Transitional program, Brackenridge Hospital, Austin, Texas, 1989
- Residency, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, 1992
- Medical Director, St. David’s Rehabilitation Center, Austin, Texas, 1992-2001
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1992-1998
- Course Co-Director, Designated Doctor / Impairment Rating training program for the Texas Worker’s Compensation Commission, Texas Medical Association, Austin, Texas, 1995-2005
- Medical Director, SpineAustin, Austin, Texas, 2005-2008
- Medical Director, CHARM, Austin, Texas 2011-present
- Board-certified, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1993-present
- Board-certified, Pain Medicine, 2004-present
- Board-certified, Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, 1998-2008
In the “art of medicine,” Dr. Harris is a Rembrandt! I made a nationwide search for a doctor like Dr. Harris and could not have been happier to find someone of his caliber and experience in Austin. For the first time in over 6 years, I’m living without debilitating pain. As a result of the regenerative therapies, I have been able to work more, travel more, play more intensely with my 4 sons, and live more! I have referred both my parents and other family members to CHARM. Yeah, they are that good!